Friday, May 30, 2008

thin is in (almost)


Unlike eating disorders and skinny jeans, this is one thin trend I'm all for (an aside for all you non-eaters: come join the rest of us at the dinner table...food tastes good, really good, I promise). But I digress. OLED is upon us, and I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm pretty excited to have a 3mm thick screen perched atop the cardboard box and Styrofoam it arrived in (at $2,499.00 for an 11in screen hell no I can't afford a stand).

For those of you unfamiliar with OLED (organic light-emitting diode) technology, here's someone who can explain it better than I ever could. Oh, and for you WikiFreaks, go nuts.

In the interest of fiscal responsibility, I recommend not being an early adopter of this technology, unless you're that guy. Sony just pumped another ¥22b ($204.5m) into its OLED production line, focusing on medium- to large-sized screens, set to hit the States in FY2009, and as Engadget points out, their production timeline mirrors that of Samsung's...let good 'ole competitive markets help out your wallet and be patient for 6 months to year.

However, if you feel the need to splurge...have at it.

No comments: